A diary of all my mad projects.

I am glad that you stopped by - welcome to my world. Its a little mad and hectic as I sew, knit, embroider and generally craft my way through life. My newest resolution is to spend more time sewing - less time dreaming about it. I love to read comments so I am looking forward to hearing from you all.




Saturday, October 20, 2012

Dresses and sewcations

This week past has been typical New Zealand spring weather - four seasons in one day (Yes a Crowded House song as well!!)  As a result I decided to have a sewcation a la Carolyn.  I have long admired the wonderful dresses she creates and decided to spend some time creating a few for me.

First up was Sandra Betzina's V1210.


I found this wonderful fabric at the Fabric Warehouse in Hamiton, and I have named the dress "The Alphabet" and plan to wear it to school.


Although it is hard to see the fabric is a fine lace with a black and white stripe printed on it interspersed with the alphabet.

This pattern was a quick and easy sew. The directions for the neck band were very good and would be very encouraging if you were a beginner sewer.  At first I was unsure wether to use the red and white stripe (a pure cotton crinkle knit) as the band but now that it is completed I like the contrast.  Unfortunately the photographer (DD2) is not keen on this dress, she thought it was an old ladies dress and questioned my sanity in leaving the house in it.  I am not sure how much notice to take of the 12 year old's fashion sense, I might see what DD1 has to say.

The next dress I tackled was Vogue 1250 - this dress was the sensation of 2011 ( I learnt this when I googled) and I must be the last person to make it!!!


I found this to be as easy as everyone who has posted about it.  I had to grade the pattern up one size as I am a 22 - 24 in Vogue. I used the 20 for the shoulders and graded up one size as per Burda instuctions for the bodice and skirt.  The first dress was made in a heavy rust viscose knit.  I am amazed how much difference the fabric can make to a pattern.  I had to shorten the rust dress and took a 4cm hem but it still is much longer that the 2nd dress made out of a wonderful polyester print.


Both fabric's were recently purchased from the Fabric Warehouse in Hamilton.  The polyester fabric was impossible to sew on the overlocker so I used the Pfaff and a stretch stitch.  It does not unravel so I have left the edges unfinished which is hard to do as I love that finished look of overlocking.






DS1 has his senior leaver's dinner next Friday and I am planning to wear the second dress with the wonderful Minx slingbacks.  All in all it was a fun two days and who really cares if the house looks a bombsite???













No comments:

Post a Comment