A diary of all my mad projects.

I am glad that you stopped by - welcome to my world. Its a little mad and hectic as I sew, knit, embroider and generally craft my way through life. My newest resolution is to spend more time sewing - less time dreaming about it. I love to read comments so I am looking forward to hearing from you all.




Friday, July 11, 2014

6 PAC Sewing with a Plan

I make detailed plans for my sewing: but sadly often  they remain as strips of fabric, pictures and pattern numbers.  I take pleasure in creating a journal of the plan but need to move onto the actual task of sewing up the ideas.  It is with pleasure that I find myself completing a plan.
Inspiration for Shirt

I love the croquis from  Fashionary 


My eldest daughter has just completed her undergraduate degree in Architecture and is continuing onto her Masters.  As a poor student she was happy to have Mum make a few things to help extend her wardrobe.  At present she is enamoured with black so that was the base colour, not my favourite thing to sew or wear! I managed to slip in some petrol blue and grey to the mix for some variety.

First up were two tops from Ottobre Spring/Summer 2013.  A draped Tshirt (Lemon Juice No 13) cut on the fold to create the draped side.  This is a  petrol blue merino lycra blend from The Fabric Store in Wellington and I plan to make it in a larger size for myself.  With one piece for the front and back, the side is placed on the fold to create the drape.  





The second top was No 2 Summer Basic, made firstly in a burnout knit from the Auckland Fabric Store branch.  

I adjusted to add 3" length in the back above armhole  and 4"in the front.  The daughter wanted the long at back short at front look so the hem was lengthened.  Made in a beautiful merino knit from The Fabric Shop, Otara this is a great basic quick to make and extremely useful as a layer.

Next time I will shorten the light colour for a better proportion - although it looked good on her.


They looked great on her but unfortunately she disappeared back to Wellington before I could get photos.  She reports that they are getting a good work out in the wardrobe.

Finally a shirt was made from Autumn/Winter 5/2013 No 10 Parisian Chic.  This is a gathered from the yoke loose blouse made in a polyester polka dot.  It went together easily but the fabric was difficult to sew and pulled in places.  I normally dislike polyester but loved the polka dots and the colour.




 The gathers on the shirt meant that I did not need to make any alterations for width and she liked the look.  The final garment in the six pack is a Style Arc Skirt which is nearly finished.

Ottobre have some wonderful styles but my first experience with them proved to be disappointing as the dress was not a good fit.  These were all made in Size 46 and were a very stylish fit, I am now convinced to try some other styles in my size so watch this space.







2 comments:

  1. Lucky daughter to now have this little package in her wardrobe! Love the look of the polka dot fabric, but glad it was you trying to tame it and not me ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judith - I tried sewing it with a microtex needle but it blunted them very quickly and back to pulling as it sewed. There is a reason I avoid poly's.

      Delete