With nine days to devote to sewing I have been busy fitting the tunic. My initial muslin of this tunic was a great disappointment - I started with a size 50 and found the armhole too big and the shoulders much too wide. I cut down to a 48 arms and sleeves but still ill fitting. Added bicep width and did a petite adjustment above the bust but to no availl. The bodice just did not work on me. This was a disappointment as I was very taken with the Ottobre designs and planned to make all the items in this issue.
Back to the drawing board and started anew with Burda. I have so many issues that I was sure that I could find something similar. I spent a few pleasureable days searching thorough back issues but nothing remotely the same came up. Back to the drawing board... and Burda 3/2009
The Plus section has a great selection of special occasion patterns one of which is a lace overtop with a bust dart. Overlaying the Ottobre pattern over the Burda pattern I moved the darts and recut using the Ottobre darts front and back and Burda armhole and sleeves.
This worked better than I thought it would and completely out of my comfort zone. I have always avoided too much mucking around with patterns - it is the sewing that I enjoy in fact cutting out a pattern has always been a detested activity of sewing. But in the last year I have been branching out of my comfort zone looking for a better fit as well as improving my sewing skills. Go me!