A diary of all my mad projects.

I am glad that you stopped by - welcome to my world. Its a little mad and hectic as I sew, knit, embroider and generally craft my way through life. My newest resolution is to spend more time sewing - less time dreaming about it. I love to read comments so I am looking forward to hearing from you all.




Sunday, September 13, 2015

A new pattern makes all the difference or Ottobre to the rescue.


Following on from the previous post my desire for a quick project mushroomed into a 3 pattern monster but with a great ending.  After trying the Style Arc Billie top and finding it unsuitable for my figure (plus sized apple) I remembered an Ottobre top that I had previously made for DD#1 which featured the drape effect that I liked but in a more fitted style.




The pattern is Lemon Juice No 13 in the Ottobre Spring/Summer 2/2013.  I traced a 50/52 then laid it over the previously cut fabric and cut it out.  Luckily I had another metre for the sleeves.


Lemon Juice laid over the Size 20 Billie top - the back piece is only half and needs to be folded over and the other side cut out.
Making this up is quick and easy, with the only  departures from the pattern were gathering the neckline back and front rather than using the clear elastic to gather.  I do not seem to have mastered this technique and it always ends in tears, fabric and liquid.  So I did not even attempt it and I am pleased with the result. I lengthened the sleeves slightly for a more flattering look.  As you can see I am very happy with the new top!





The left side showing the short seam and then the pleat effect.

Right side which is plain with no drape.
A much better amount of fabric but still with the desired drape effect.

 To conclude this is a great top which has sleeves! A very important addition in my mind.  Although not shown in the photos this top has a high low hem but from side to side.  It is snug about the hips which allows it to gather and blouson a little, but can be pulled down for a longer tunic look.

I'm off to teach art this week so now have the perfect outfit to wear in the artroom!  Art Teacher chic indeed.




10 comments:

  1. Great fabric for this- it really reinforces the style lines. Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good save! This looks great and you look happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - I have my sewmojo back! Yes! and am in the midst of spring wardrobe sewing. Hopefully watch this space.

      Delete
  3. I agree this looks much better! Luckily you could wangle it from the fabric you had left!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good work! It's a fabulous top and looks really good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, it's much cuter on you than on the model. Nice work and great save!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jacqui, I've been away travelling and not able to say hi to people - poor wi-fi. I've just seen the first version of this top, and what a great rescue - this is a much better top on you. I sense the original pattern is really designed for a dramatic, tall, slim woman, with the top sort of draping down. We older ladies don't need downward dragging draping, do we?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah Liz what fun you have had. I love the liberty fabric and look forward to seeing it made up. I agree that downward draping is not such a good look! I also think that my figure type looks better in a semi fitted more structured look. As much as I love the lagenlook and Ivey Abitz styles I think the reality would disappoint.

      Delete