A diary of all my mad projects.

I am glad that you stopped by - welcome to my world. Its a little mad and hectic as I sew, knit, embroider and generally craft my way through life. My newest resolution is to spend more time sewing - less time dreaming about it. I love to read comments so I am looking forward to hearing from you all.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Simplicity 1806

I have just finished View E for my DD who is at University studying architecture.  She is struggling with finances as the projects for her assignments can get very costly.  She was very happy to have me make some clothes for her but we have very different tastes so it will be a bit touch and go.  I measured her up in the last holidays and adjusted Gertie accordingly.  As an aside I was taken with Kenneth Kings's Thread article about making a fitted cover for Gertie that would be a much better model and now plan to make one for both myself and DD.

The finished top is now posted and I wait for the verdict regarding fit and whether the fabric etc is to her taste.  Her sister loved the fabric - a fine Japanese cotton batiste print and wants a top for herself in the same fabric.

Japanese batiste print from Spotlight - Hamilton.

Front View

Pattern Sizing.
I made up a size 16 with the front altered to size 20 to accommodate daughter’s DD bust.
Did it look like the pattern photo /drawing envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Sort of – although I used a recommended fabric the collar does not fall softly like that shown in the picture.  But overall pleased with the look.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes, followed most of them but changed the facings.
What do you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I love the pleat at the back it looks great on the dress model and hopefully on DD.  I am not loving the collar – it does not sit nicely at the back V and stands out a little at the front. 
Fabric used?
Soft Japanese cotton print – batiste I think from Spotlight. I washed before cutting as quality from this place can be variable and it was a dream to sew.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made?
I enlarged the front to accommodate DD’s large bust but as this was made with out fitting as DD is away at University I now have to wait and see if it was successful – it fits her measurements on the model.  I also changed the facing to a bias bound edge and stitched it down – it looks more like what is around in the shops and I occasionally have trouble with facings behaving properly and refusing to sit nicely.
Would you sew it again or recommend it to others?
Yes DD no 2 wants one in the same material but without the collar and I want to make View B up for myself.  I am not sure if View E would suit me and really do not like mother/daughter outfits!
A nice top pattern that was easy to sew – it took a little longer than I thought it would due to some basting required (do not try to sew the flange’s in without basting – ask me how I know :-0).  I am looking forward to trying the other view.

Back View I love the pleat!
 One thing about this pattern view is that the collar does not fall as pictured in the pattern photo - I think it needs a rayon or knit to get the same effect.  I was thinking of trying to widen the middle of the collar to get it to fall better, although DD 2 suggests canning the collar and just binding the neck edge instead.  I will definitely make this again.

1 comment:

  1. The top looks very architectural! Nice fabric find also.